Tesla Model S & Model X now on sale in UAE
Yesterday Elon Musk personally announced the official sales of Tesla in its first GCC market
We were at the World Government Summit at Madinat Jumeirah yesterday to hear Elon Musk himself announced Tesla first foray into a GCC market.
We weren’t allowed to film live from the presentation, however you can watch our Facebook Live broadcast immediately following the briefing by click below.
Scroll down and you’ll find the full Press Releases regarding Tesla’s plans and models for the UAE market.
Key highlights are as follows:
- Model S & Model X now available to order in the UAE, either through an online portal www.tesla.com/en_AE/ and a pop-up store located in Dubai Mall.
- First deliveries of cars will commence this summer.
- Model S starts at AED275,000 and Model X from AED344,000.
- Model S has a range of 632km and accelerates 0-100 in 2.7 secs.
- Model X has a range of 565km and accelerates 0-100 in 3.1 secs.
- Cars will come with a 4-year non-powertrain warranty, and a standard 8-year unlimited mileage powertrain warranty including battery pack.
- Tesla is handling sales and servicing itself with no local partner.
- Dubai service centre and Tesla Ranger service opens in July located at Interchange 2 of Sheikh Zayed Road.
- Sales and service centres in Abu Dhabi will open next year.
- The UAE already has Tesla Destination Chargers at 26 locations across the country, including two Supercharging locations at the Last Exit in Jebel Ali and in Masdar City.
- Five additional Supercharger locations and 50 additional Destination charging locations will be open by the end of the year.
- Charging locations will also be made available in Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and KSA.
- Cars have been hot weather tested in Death Valley at temperatures exceeding 60 Degrees.
- Tesla models sold here will continue to get ‘Over the air’ updates to on-board software.
Official media information below:
Tesla Launches in the UAE with Model S and Model X
Tesla today will begin accepting online orders for Model S and Model X in the UAE. Customers in the UAE can now visit the online design studio to customize and order the Tesla vehicle that best suits their lifestyle. First orders of Model S and Model X vehicles are expected to be delivered in Dubai this summer.
The launch of the UAE’s dedicated online platform is supported by a pop-up store in The Dubai Mall, Tesla Ranger service and a service centre now under construction near Interchange Two of Sheikh Zayed Road which will open in July. The store will provide an opportunity for customers to experience Tesla and learn about the benefits of Tesla ownership. In addition to Dubai, Tesla will open a store and service centre in Abu Dhabi next year.
Tesla has designed the most sophisticated electric vehicle charging network in the world, the Supercharger and Destination charging network, so owners can travel wherever and whenever they want. Tesla has opened two Supercharging locations at The Last Exit in Jebel Ali and in Masdar City, allowing drivers to recharge their vehicles in minutes rather than hours. By the end of the year, Tesla will open five additional Supercharger locations, enabling long distance travel across every route into and out of the country. The UAE is already home to a number of Tesla’s Destination chargers, which are available at 26 locations across the UAE, including hotels and shopping malls. Tesla will add more than 50 additional Destination charging locations by the end of the year.
With an industry leading NEDC range of up to 632 km, Tesla’s award-winning Model S is designed from the ground up to be the safest, most exhilarating car on the road. Model S delivers unparalleled performance through Tesla’s unique, all-electric powertrain and accelerates from 0 to 100 kph in just 2.7 seconds.
Model X is the safest, fastest and most capable sport utility vehicle on the road. With standard all-wheel drive and up to 565 km of range (NEDC) on a single charge, Model X fits an active lifestyle and includes ample seating for seven adults and all of their gear. Model X is incredibly fast, accelerating from zero to 100 kph in as quickly as 3.1 seconds.
Prices start from AED 275,000 for Model S and AED 344,000 for Model X.
Model S, the first fully electric sedan, is an evolution in automotive engineering. Combining top performance, safety, and efficiency, it has reset the world’s expectations for the car of the 21st century with the highest possible safety ratings, the longest range of any electric vehicle, and over-the-air software updates that continuously make it better.
Built on the Tesla platform, the battery’s location below the floor gives Model S an extremely low center of gravity, greatly reducing the risk of rollover while also enhancing handling and performance. Without an engine, Model S has a crumple zone much larger than other vehicles to absorb the energy of a front-end impact.
Model S is one of the safest cars on the road. Much of its safety is owed to the unique electric drivetrain that sits beneath the car. Model S has a low center of gravity, minimizing rollover risk. Model S’s safety record is proven by its NHTSA and Euro NCAP 5-star safety rating along with setting a record of the lowest likelihood of injury to occupants when tested in the United States.
Electric All Wheel Drive
With two motors, one on the front axle and one on the rear, Model S digitally and independently controls torque to the front and rear wheels. The result is unparalleled traction control in all conditions. Unlike conventional all-wheel drive vehicles that sacrifice fuel efficiency for increased traction, Tesla’s Electric All Wheel Drive system increases efficiency.
Reaching 0-100 kph in a mere 2,7 seconds, Model S is the quickest four-door sedan ever built. Superior handling is the result of an extremely low center of gravity, thanks to the battery pack along the floor pan, centered between the axles. No other production car has a more ideal placement of mass for optimal handling.
Without an internal combustion engine, Model S allows for additional cargo space and offers a spacious cabin fitting five adults and two children (rear-facing jump seats).
The 17” center touchscreen seamlessly integrates media, navigation, communications, cabin control and vehicle data into one intuitive interface. Many functions are mirrored on the instrument panel and are voice-activated to focus the driver’s attention on the road.
Over-The-Air Software Updates
Over-the-air software updates add functionality, enhance performance, and improve the driving experience of Tesla vehicles. Similarly to how updates are received on a smartphone, Model S owners receive updates to their car remotely without visiting a service center. The ability to receive these updates is free for the life of the vehicle.
Model S Specs
- 17″ capacitive touchscreen
- Onboard maps and navigation
- Automatic keyless entry
- WiFi and Internet connectivity
- Mobile app remote control
- Retracting door handles
- One touch power windows
- High definition backup camera
- GPS enabled Homelink
- Hands free talking with Bluetooth
- Voice activated controls
- AM, FM, and Internet streaming radio
- Available Ultra High Fidelity Sound package with XM radio support
- Auto dimming mirrors
- Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory
- Two USB ports for media and power
- 12 volt power outlet
- Twelve way power adjustable, heated front seats with memory and driver profile
- Available sub-zero weather package with heated rear seats and wiper blade and windshield washer fluid defrosters
- Front trunk, rear trunk, and 60/40 folding rear seats with 1 645 litres of storage
- Active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, have begun rolling out through over-the-air updates
- Daytime running lights
- Available Smart Air Suspension for raising and lowering ride height
- Eight airbags for driver and passenger heads, knees, and pelvis plus two side curtain airbags
- Electronic stability and traction control
- Four wheel antilock disc brakes with electronic parking brake
- Three second row LATCH attachments for child seat installations (accommodates three child seats simultaneously: two with LATCH and one with top tether and belt)
Premium Interior and Lighting adds
- Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and ambient lighting
- Power liftgate
- Fog and cornering lights
- Lighted door handles
- Interior accent lighting
Model X is the safest, quickest and most capable sport utility vehicle in history. It blends performance and utility with unique features including the falcon wing doors, canopy glass, and seven-seat configuration.
Built on the Tesla platform, the battery’s location below the floor gives Model X an extremely low center of gravity, reducing the risk of rollover common in SUVs and creating 50/50 weight distribution. Without an engine, Model X has a crumple zone much larger than other SUVs to absorb the energy of a front-end impact. Along with standard active safety features, crash tests indicate that Model X will receive a 5-star safety rating in all categories, the first SUV ever to do so.
Falcon Wing Doors
Model X Falcon Wing doors offer unprecedented convenience, entry, and maneuverability. With less space needed to open than the sliding door of a minivan, the double-hinged doors make loading a child in the backseat in tight parking spaces simple. Why should the driver ever need to touch the door? Auto presenting doors automatically open and close as the driver approaches or exits Model X.
With a windshield that stretches up and over the two front seats, passengers can experience an open and modern feel with an expansive view ahead.
Three rows of seats, a front and rear trunk, room under the second row seats, side pockets and a blind holster for your iPhone, big or little, there’s a place to store it in Model X.
For even heavier cargo, Model X is the first electric vehicle with a 2 270 kg towing capacity.
Model X is the world’s cleanest SUV on the inside. With a HEPA filter system, medical-grade air can fill the cabin, no matter what is going on outside. There are three modes: circulate with outside air, re-circulate inside air and a bioweapon defense mode that creates positive pressure inside the cabin to protect occupants. Also available in Model S.
Agility, Speed and Aerodynamics
Model X hits 0-100 kph in a staggering 3,1 seconds getting to a top speed of 250 kph, all while producing zero emissions. With an active spoiler that automatically adjusts for maximum efficiency, Model X has the lowest drag coefficient of any SUV.
Model X Specs
- Regular over-the-air updates add safety and navigation features, enhance performance and improve the driver experience
- Access to Tesla’s expanding Supercharger network
- Maps and navigation with real time traffic information
- GPS enabled Homelink
- Active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, have begun rolling out through over-the-air updates
- Electric All-Wheel Drive for maximum efficiency and traction
- Parking sensors and blind spot warning
- Full LED headlamps
- Power-folding, heated side mirrors
- Up to four LATCH child seat attachments
- Largest glass panoramic windshield in production, providing unparalleled views
- Falcon Wing doors allow easy access to second and third row seats, even from tight parking spaces
- Automatic keyless entry
- Automatic rear liftgate
- Largest interior storage capacity of its class: 2180 litres in the six seat interior configuration
- Front trunk with room for luggage, strollers or two golf bags
- 8 years, infinite mileage battery and drive unit warranty
- 4 years, 80 000 kilometers limited warranty
A critical component of the adoption of electric vehicles is to create a seamless and convenient charging experience wherever customers choose to travel. Tesla owners can enjoy the convenience of plugging in anywhere to charge. Whether it’s at home, in the office, or on a long distance road trip, Tesla has you covered.
Charge from home
The most convenient way to charge your Tesla is at home. Model S and Model X provide ample range for daily travel. The majority of owners drive during the day and replenish the balance of remaining charge at night, waking to a full battery in the morning. Imagine never going to a gas station again.
Supercharge on the road
Designed and built by Tesla, Superchargers charge Model S and Model X in minutes rather than hours. The Supercharger is substantially more powerful than any charging technology to date, providing up to 120 kilowatts of power to replenish a half charge in about 30 minutes.
To support Tesla’s arrival in the UAE, two Supercharger stations have been opened at The Last Exit in Jebel Ali, Sheikh Zayed Road, E11 and in Masdar City. These stations make trips between Dubaï and Abu Dabi even easier.
Recharge at your destination
The Destination Charging program replicates the convenience Model S and Model X owners are accustomed to at home by providing hotels, restaurants, and resorts with the same connectors our owners often install in their garages. These “wall connectors” add up to 100 kilometers of range per hour, easily giving Model S and Model X a full charge in a few hours.
Confirmed UAE Destination Charging Locations
- Al Wadi Desert Resort
- Anantara The Palm
- Armani Hotel Dubai
- Burj Al Arab
- Emirates Towers
- Etihad Towers
- Four Seasons Hotel Abu Dhabi at Al Maryah Island
- Four Seasons Hotel Dubai
- Intercontinental Dubai Marina
- Jumeirah Al Naseem
- Jumeirah Al Qasr
- Jumeirah at Etihad Towers
- Jumeirah Beach Hotel
- Jumeirah Mina A’Salam
- Jumeirah Zabeel Saray
- Mall of the Emirates
- Movenpick Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel Dubai
- Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi
- Ritz-Carlton Dubai
- Rosewood Abu Dhabi
- Rove Downtown Dubai
- The Address Dubai Marina
- The Address Montgomerie Dubai
- The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai International Financial Centre
- Yas Mall
- Yas Viceroy
Tesla Autopilot is an increasingly capable suite of safety and convenience features that make personal transportation safer and more enjoyable. Since September 2014, Autopilot hardware has come standard in all Tesla vehicles, and Tesla has continued to refine and enhance the Autopilot system since its features were first enabled in cars in October 2015 via over-the-air software updates. Data shows that, when used properly, drivers supported by Autopilot are safer than those operating without assistance. Eventually, full autonomy will enable a Tesla to be substantially safer than a human driver.
In its current form, Autopilot is an advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) that classifies as a Level 2 automated system by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). It is designed as a hands-on experience to give drivers more confidence behind the wheel, increase their safety on the road, and make highway driving more enjoyable by reducing the driver’s workload.
Autopilot’s safety and convenience capabilities are designed to be additive to the driver’s by augmenting their perception, improving their decision making, and assisting in their control of the vehicle. Its user interface has been carefully designed to encourage proper use and to give drivers intuitive access to the information the car is using to inform its actions, via a detailed visual display on the instrument panel and clear audible cues. As Autopilot technology continues to be developed, more advanced functionality will be made available to Tesla owners over time nearing full self-driving capabilities; however, until truly driverless cars are developed and approved by regulators, the driver is responsible for and must remain in control of their car at all times.
Today, Model S and Model X owners enjoy features like Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and Summon, and Tesla is continuously innovating to keep customers at the forefront of technology through over-the-air software updates.
New Autopilot Hardware
In October 2016, Tesla announced that all vehicles in production, as well as the forthcoming Model 3, will be built with an updated hardware suite, equipping each Tesla with the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver.
Eight surround cameras provide 360-degree visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength that is able to see through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead. To make sense of all of this data, a new onboard computer with over 40 times the computing power of the previous generation runs the new Tesla-developed neural net for vision, sonar and radar processing software. Together, this system provides a view of the world that a driver alone cannot access, seeing in every direction simultaneously and on wavelengths that go far beyond the human senses.
Vehicles equipped with this hardware will continue to become more capable as new safety and convenience features are rolled out over time through over-the-air updates. These updates will significantly advance the driving experience and are available in two options:
- Enhanced Autopilot enables your Tesla to match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage. Enhanced Autopilot should still be considered a driver’s assistance feature with the driver responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times.
- Self-Driving, where permitted by regulatory approval, will ultimately take owners from home to work and find a parking space on its own.
Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the new sensor suite using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and performance. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, and Autopilot functionality such as lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features. As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time.
First Generation Autopilot
Autopilot in vehicles built between September 2014 and October 2016 uses a combination of a camera and radar with enhanced processing, 12 ultrasonic sensors and navigation data to steer within a lane, change lanes on prompt, and adjust speed in response to traffic. Autopilot features were first introduced to Tesla owners in October 2015 via a free over-the-air software update, and were found in several independent studies to be the most advanced Level 2 driver assistance features available: Autofil, Car & Driver, The Drive, Motor Trend.
Standard Autopilot features include:
- Autosteer and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control – Autosteer assists the driver on the road by steering within a lane. It relies on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to maintain the car’s speed in relation to surrounding traffic.
- Auto Lane Change – By engaging the turn signal when Autosteer is engaged, drivers can be assisted in transitioning to an adjacent lane on the right or left side of the car, when it is safe to do so.
- Autopark – When driving at low speeds on urban streets, a “P” will appear on the Instrument Panel when a Tesla detects a parking spot. The Autopark guide will appear on the touchscreen along with the rear camera display, and, once activated, Autopark will begin to maneuver the vehicle into the parking space by controlling vehicle speed, gear changes and steering.
- Summon – With Summon, owners can move Model S in and out of a parking space from outside the vehicle using the mobile app or the key.
Would you buy a Tesla? Will there be a market here for them? Tell us what you think in the comments below